Monday, March 24, 2014

Twirlz and Stawasz Flowerpot II

I needed an easy take along project as I accompany someone with medical issues. Something easy to pick up and drop at the call of a name, so I pondered what to chose and picked up Jan Stawasz book of Tatted Treasures. 

Diane of Lace Lovin' Librarian had sent me 4 samples of Lizbeth Twirlz threads in red, green, purple and blue to try.

Jan's Flower Pot II looked perfect, I could pair both the Twirlz threads and regular Lizbeth and other brands in the same project.  All threads are size 20
Please ignore the thread ends, I never cut them close until the project is complete.

I have completed 2 of the flowers.  I used a Manuela variegated for the bud and the Lizbeth Twirlz for the sepals,stem and leaves.  If you have looked at the pattern, you will note that I missed the picots at the sides of the bud.  I like this better, but it was an oops. 

The second flower on the right is done with Lizbeth yellow and 2 of the Twirlz. 

The Twirlz thread seems to me to be softer then the regular Lizgbeth, not as soft as a perle cotton, but not as crisp and firm as regular either. 

I do have to admit that I do not tat using Jan's method,  I tat frontside/backside and many years ago when I studied his technique, it worked out to be about the same, so that is what I do. 

I have also used a Single Shuttle Split Ring at the bottom to hide ends, in doing so, I have missed making the joining picot, but I think I can tease one out anyway when it comes time. 

I have 3 more flowers to make and then the pot.  I have the colors picked out for the flowers, but I do not have any idea yet as to what I will use for the pot.  Maybe I will have to find a terracotta color so it really does look like a flower pot.

This project is going to be my "take along"  work, so it will be a while before it gets completed.

Life is going to be a bit calmer for the next week or 2, so maybe I can sit down and finish a couple projects that I need to get done. 

Thursday, March 13, 2014

some catchup

This has been a very cold winter. 
My office at work has a huge north facing window - it used to be a school.  The chill coming off the window even if I am dressed warm enough, has bothered my hands.  So there has been not too much tatting this winter.

I did get a few things done.
This is Frivole's Snowflake Celeste. 

Last November I shared the start the Clover Leaf Doily by Linda Davies. The links to her patterns are in the right hand column of her blog.

Looks great here doesn't it. Well, This is what it looked like when I finished the 2nd round .

I pulled and pulled the joins, but the picots are just too small.  So, I will have to start over.

I did a bit more on the sock machine as well.

I made my first pair of socks. 

The weather has suddenly gotten much warmer.  A couple weeks ago we are still having temps below zero and not just at night.  Now today it was 58 F and sunny.  Still very windy.  but the snow is disappearing and the ground is starting to dry out. 
I think spring might actually get here.

Have a good day tomorrow and count your blessings.