Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Before & after

Last Saturday I showed you a picture of the pots of tomatoes I had set on the stove to cook down.

I figured that was about 40 quarts of cut up tomatoes cooking to soften the skins and pulp.  After a few hours, I was able to put all of them through the sieve.

I should have taken pictures of the pots of tomato pulp and juice simmering on the stove but I didn't.  I wasn't able to do all the cooking down in one session so it took longer to get to the point of canning then I would have liked.

Last evening (Tuesday) I decided it was time to get them canned.
I used quart jars this time instead of the pints from the last batch a week ago, but it still took 3 batches through the pressure canner. 

Here is what I ended up with.
20 quarts of tomato sauce.

There are still some tomatoes ripening in the basement, but no where near as many as I have already canned.  They will soon be all done I hope.

new news about our grandson... things are looking up.  some more doctors get to poke and prod tomorrow, but he may be able to go home yet this weekend.  All of your prayers, and good thoughts have been a big help. Thank you so much.


6 comments:

  1. Still exhausted thinking of all that work, but the photos are definitely colorful and make my mouth water. I love tomato sauce! I certainly admire your perseverance!

    Congratulations on your new grandson! Glad to hear he is improving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear that your new grandson will be home soon. Wow, that must have been hard work. I have never canned anything before so I would have loved to help you . . . if only I lived nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have you come help. Friends make any work easier. It wasn't so physically hard, just time consuming and tiring at the end of the day.

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear about Scot. Those cans will keep you in tomatoes for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only canned tomatoes one year, and I absolutely loved the whole process as well as the taste of the tomatoes. However, my husband the vegetable farmer hated the canned tomatoes. I froze corn one summer, and the corn was fabulous. Unfortunately, someone unplugged the freezer to use the outlet, so most of the corn was lost. Needless to say, my adventures in canning and freezing are over!

    I'm glad your grandson is doing better. I will continue to keep him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep us posted on the grandson!
    That is a LOT of quart jars.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments, Thank you for leaving one.