Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Josephine Knots Thoughts

A couple of weeks ago, Isdihara  over at Ambitatterous  posted a request from Georgia Seitz for some tatting to applique on the Scholarship quilt for the Palmetto Tat Days.  Here is Isdihara's post with the particulars

I decided that even if I can't go, I can contribute, so I decided to tat a string of Josephine knots
      ::The Josephine rings should be tatted in size 30 to 40 -- about 8-10 half stitches in each, tatted in a string of rings with little to no space between them to use for greenery and leaves.::

So I wound a bobbin for my pretty LaCossette shuttle and started.  I didn't measure the thread I wound, so measured the thread when I wound a second bobbin no tonight.  I was able to put 9 yards of size 40 Olympus thread on the bobbin, and from that I will get a string of  200 Josephine Knots that is only 2' long.

Wow, that is a lot of thread in a little space.

 I tried the JK both ways, using the 1st half DS or using the 2nd half DS.
 I learned a couple things,  
         1. it is easier to close a JK made with the 2nd half DS 
         2. be sure the let your shuttle hang and unwind every couple of JK. 

I will see if I can get a second string done in the rest of this week, and get them sent off to Georgia. 



July 4th banner art  May all of you have a great 4th of July celebration, if you aren't in the USA, then have a great Wednesday. 

Oh yes, I would love to go to the Palmetto Tat Days, the sign up is open, so be sure to stop by at the link above.  But, I will be spending 4 days over the Labor Day weekend demonstration Tatting at the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion in Rollag MN.  It would be just to much contemplate more days off work to go to Tat days,  and well, farmguy might not be too happy,  it will be soybean harvest right about then too.   

Any one in the area who would like to see some wonderful older steam powered, or horse powered farm machinery please stop by.  There are all kinds of demonstrations, including an old general store, and the ladies pavilion where you will see not only tatting, but bobbin lace, spinning, weaving, quilting, dying and many other crafts.

2 comments:

  1. Happy 4th to you too :)

    Thanks for the Josephine Knot info. I always use the 2nd half ds, but I don't even know why. It's nice to know it's probably better that I do.

    Wish I was a little closer to come to that threshing show - it's closer to me than Tat Days. Good luck with the tatting demo!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments, Thank you for leaving one.