Monday, November 22, 2010

I need more time, i have too much thyme

no pictures tonight.

yesterday morning it was drizzling, the temp was about 23 and it has been cold enough so the ground was below freezing as well, so the nice drizzle was freezing on everything. I had a good hold on the door knob as I left for church or I would have gone down the front steps on my fanny. As I pulled up to church, I watch a gentleman get out of his pickup, if he hadn't had a good grip on the steering wheel, he would have been on the ground as his feet flew out from under him.

today when my boss got to work, he got out of his car and fell. it is not good here and now today we had snow on top of the ice.

I needed groceries for thanksgiving but wasn't too fond of having to drive 30 miles to the grocery store in the dark after work.

I was able to get to the grocery store this afternoon. DH had to go to town for parts so picked me up at work.

I am making the stuffing and a dessert for Thanksgiving dinner at the neighbors.

I have a realllly good stuffing recipe handed down in the family. it is so good that sons-in-law have requested my stuffing. (I will put in the recipe below)

anyway, while at the store gathering ingredients, I stopped at the spice isle and decided that since I didn't know how much thyme I had in the cupboard, I would get some.

when I got home after work - stayed until 7:15 to make up for taking off the time in the middle of the day. I discovered that I had 1+ little jars of thyme. soooo I have too much thyme, but not enough time to get everything done.

Dressing/Stuffing
5 quarts of dry bread cubes (one 1.5 lb loaf of bread will make about 3 quarts of dry cubes
1 1/2 Cups melted butter
4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 tsp seasoning salt (our family has always used Beaumonde, I think it is sold by Spice Islands)
1/4 tsp thyme (can use a bit more)
1 clove garlic finely chopped
grind all giblets (raw~can leave these out)
grind or shred 4 large carrots, 4 large celery ribs, 1 large onion
4 1/2 Cups of water or if not using giblets, chicken broth use more or less depending on how moist you want it.

place dry bread in large pan. sprinkle spices onto cubes and pour melted butter over all, mix well. Add ground meat and vegetables, mix well. pour over liquid and mix, but be careful not to stir the bread into mush.
bake in the over for 20 -30 per quart until interior temperature is 180 degrees. can be cooked in a crock pot for 1 hour on high then 4-6 hours on low, be sure to check temp in center is 180 degrees.

you might be interested in the dessert I am making.
it is an old recipe for

Tomato Chocolate Cake
butter & flour 2 9" cake pans

1 pound of tomatoes, peel and seed, puree and measure 1 1/4C

4 oz of sweet baking chocolate
1 Cup brown sugar
1/4 Cup milk
3 egg yolks divided
cook chocolate, br sugar, milk and 1 egg yolk in double boiler stirring occasionally over hot water until smooth and slightly thick.

2 Cups cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 tablespoons butter softened
1 Cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites
sift flour with baking soda and salt
cream butter & sugar until light.
add remaining 2 yolks beating each time until fluffy.
add tomato puree, vanilla and chocolate mixture beating thoroughly.
Stir in flour.
Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, fold into cake batter and pour into pans.
bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes until almost done, do not over bake!
cool on wire rack, remove from pans and frost with tomato frosting

Tomato Frosting
1 medium tomato peeled and seeded, puree and measure 4 1/2 tablespoons puree

1/2 Cup butter softened
4 egg yolks - extra large
1 tablespoon cognac or brandy
3/4 Cup powdered sugar

beat butter until smooth, add egg yolks beating after each.
add tomato puree and liquid, then add powdered sugar.

frost bottom layer, then add top and frost top and sides.
keep cool, do not refrigerate

I ran across a different version of Tomato Frosting with cream cheese on the Internet last week which I think I may use instead of the one above calling for liquor since this will be served to children as well as adults.

I have a few other interested recipes as well,

chocolate potato cake
chocolate sauerkraut cake - you would never know - most people think it is coconut
and a World War II eggless, milkless butterless cake

if anyone is interested in the above recipes, let me know and I will post them.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, I'll bet you are one terrific cook! Sounds yummy!
    Frozen Food Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments, Thank you for leaving one.