Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Round Medallion


I decided to do the Round Medallion from the booklet in the previous post.

The thread that was called for in the pattern is Clark's O.N.T. or J.&P. Coats Mercerized Crochet, size 20 or 30; or for daintier medallions use J.&P. Coats tatting Cotton, size 70.

So I checked my grandmother Eulalia's stash of thread and found a ball of Clark's Big Ball Mercerized Boilfast in size 20 color Ecru.

As I mentioned in the post below, I tatted it using a more modern method. The original directions called for cutting and tying after the center ring, and the first round. Instead, I used a split ring to climb out of the center ring and a split chain and split ring to climb out of the first round. If you look closely, you can see that I messed up the split chain. I didn't snug the thread up short enough when I joined, so the split chain - which always grows - ended up too long and didn't match the corresponding chain.

While working on this, it looks to me like a good doily center, so instead of taking some of the WIP that I have with me on my trip at the end of the week, I will wind my shuttles and work a doily based on this medallion for a center.

The other patterns in the booklet are a simple 1 shuttle edging I would call flower and bud, ( it is shown on the cover), a simple ring and chain edging, (you can see a small peek on the cover) and the classic Hen and Chicks. The other medallion is a square which also might make a good doily center.

Some medallions only look good standing alone, others lend themselves to larger works.

I can find no information on the booklet that would lead me to a contact to find out if this is still under copyright or not, so hesitate to post a scan of the page with patterns. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate knowing it.
The blizzard is hanging around longer then was hoped, but I should be able to get to work by noonish. I hope.

Happy tatting

3 comments:

  1. Don't ya just love these modern techniques to avoid those cut and ties!? It's wonderful! I just love the internet! I wouldn't have learned all these fabulous new techniques if it weren't for the 'net! Love it! :)

    Nice medallion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The medallion is beautiful! I can't think of a better way to get through a blizzard! Hang in there... we only have wind and rain, but it's still nasty outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by Ladies,
    I was a very quick medallion.
    I will do another as a doily center on vacation. It will be interesting to see what I come up with.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate comments, Thank you for leaving one.