Thursday, August 14, 2008

extra curricular activities

I didn't get any tatting done tonight as I attended my first fire department meeting.
for the past 5 years, I have been a member of the local ambulance squad. Local being a relative term, as I live out in the country 15 miles from the ambulance garage. I am located in the NE corner of the district which covers 300 square miles. The ambulance couldn't wait for me to get there, so I would have to "chase" it to the scene, leaving my car there, or being lucky enough that there was someone there who could drive my car into town. DH was getting a bit fussy over my having to be on call or being gone so long on calls. The nearest hospital is an hour away from either end of the district, so a normal call would take about 4 hours from the time I left home until I got back. With the cost of gas so high I just decided to make my life easier and this past June I retired from the squad.
But, I couldn't stay away from helping others, so there is a small village, of less then 90 people only 3 miles from me. They have a fire department but now response unit. They have approved my application to be attached to the fire department, not as a firefighter, but as a First Responder. I will also be working on stirring up interest in getting a few more people trained as First Responders, so maybe we can get a Quick Response unit up and running.
My other extra curricular activities are representative for our Parish to the area Deanery Pastoral Council where I am the secretary for the 3rd year. I have also had the previlage of being appointed by the Bishop to represent the Deanery Council to the Diocesan level Pastoral Council.
The fire department means a monthly meeting and training, and fire calls are not too frequent. The church councils are quarterly, so not too much time is involved outside of home.
Happy tatting
Ladytats

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments, Thank you for leaving one.