Saturday, November 1, 2014

What is it?

We were cleaning up an old farmstead that we own and came across an item we have no idea what it is.
I am putting out some pictures so maybe one of you might be able to identify it.

Left side
The item seems to be cast iron and meant to be mounted to a board with the bottom wing nut
back side
As you can see there are 2 spouts
right side
Looks the same as the left side
the front
The stamped letters in the center are UH1
The top
This is the top closed. as you can see, there is a wing screw that would allow you to open the top
The top open
Here you can see the gears that run the rollers that are inside what ever this is.
side view open
Another look at the rollers.  They are not cast iron, maybe a type of rubber?

any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
UPDATE: I have been told this is a green pea sheller. If you know differently, I am still open to all ideas.


  1. It looks to me like something was meant to be fed in one side, rolled through, and come out the other side, but I can't imagine what. I've e-mailed it to my parents, who often know about old household and farm gear.

    Where did you find it-- house, barn, shed? That might narrow down the type of task it was meant for.

    1. it was in the house, but the place was a mess, and there was stuff from outside in the house and household stuff outside in sheds.

  2. No I need to learn all about pea shellers.

  3. I have to admit, neither my parents nor I bought the idea of a pea sheller at first-- we just couldn't picture how it would work without smashing the peas. But I googled "pea sheller" and found this: Then I googled "antique pea sheller" and found pictures of that exact thing. Who knew?

  4. It looks like a wringer of sorts, like what was attached to the old washing machines... you put the wet item in one side and as you turn the crank it come out the other side with all the water squeezed out.... but it seems so small ... so... maybe it was to clamp onto those old wheeled buckets to wring out the rags as you are scrubbing floors? That would be my guess.

  5. My husband said it was to bend metal to make a wagon wheel or barrel hoops :)

  6. It looks like a French bean slicer to me.

  7. To me it looked like you fed something through it from one side to the other but I wouldn't have guessed a pea sheller - cool!

  8. At first I thought it was to mince meat, but then more pictures now I have no idea.

  9. Looks like something from the Salem witch trials - some sort of torture-tool-for -the-truth machine... Am I the only one with this.... ummm... slightly sideways kind of thought??? : 0

    1. Ha Ha Ha, you never know, it just might be used for that too. I love your sense of humor. Thanks for giving me your idea

  10. My first time on your blog. Very interesting! I'll be back occasionally as I have time..
    Aunt Margaret

  11. It's a pea sheller. I have one just like it, and shelled about a peck of black eyed peas yesterday with it.


I appreciate comments, Thank you for leaving one.